"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." - Tom Brokaw

Monday, May 16, 2011

Two exams down, one and a whole bunch of needles and radiation to go!

Just over a week ago I received my medical/dental clearance paperwork in the mail.  I had done a lot of research prior to getting it so I knew exactly what I needed to do.  I had also read the experiences of a few people in their quest to volunteer and medical clearance clearly sounded like the hardest part.  One guy I read about spent over $1000 trying to get cleared!

So before I even got my paperwork I had researched the stuff I needed to do:
  • Clinical Examination (aka a physical)
  • Laboratory Results (blood test, urinalysis, complete blood count, etc.)
  • Tuberculosis Skin Test
  • Immunizations (tetanus, MMR, polio, chicken pox)
  • Special Evaluation (separated shoulder)
  • Dental Exam (including x-rays)
  • Optical Exam
I checked on how much this would cost and just for the first three bullets I would have had to pay over $700.00. Ridiculous. Then add on the dental exam and optical exam?!  I thought this would be the highest hurdle/brick-wall-covered-in-glass-with-barbed-wire-on-top.

In reading everything on the Peace Corps website I found out that VA Hospitals routinely do full Peace Corps evaluations for free.  Jackpot.  Except for the part where the VA in Spokane has had trouble getting the Peace Corps to pay them.  Fail.

So the VA won't work.  Then I realized, I know a doctor!  Last night I finished my physical free of charge thanks to a family friend, Susan Coffin!  The physical was the most expensive part of the whole deal at over $200.00 at Rockwood Clinic here in Cheney.  I guess the hurdle just got shorter.

Susan also referred me to a friend of hers who is going to do the special  exam for my separated shoulder.  That'll be done on Friday.

On top of the physical that I just finished I remember asking my optometrist if he could sign off on my optical exam seeing as I just had one about a month ago and he was all for it.

Everything seems to be falling into place on its own, but I can't get content.  I have to see this through to the end.


☮ & ❤

No comments: